Spiced spinach & potato cakes with poached eggs & stir-fried kale
Indian-spiced spinach & potato cakes topped with a runny poached egg make a wonderful meat free lunch or light supper.
· 600g desiree potatoes, chopped
· 4-5 tbsp olive oil
· 1 onion, finely chopped
· 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds, toasted
· 1 tbsp ground cumin
· 1 tbsp ground turmeric
· 200g spinach
· 4 very fresh, large free range eggs
· Small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 200g kale
· 2 garlic cloves, very finely sliced
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with boiling water, then simmer for 20-25 mins until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a medium frying pan & fry the onion until soft & translucent. Add the mustard seeds, cumin & turmeric and cook for 2 minutes more, then set aside.
3. When the potatoes are cooked, drain well, return to the pan, then mash until smooth. Put the spinach in a large colander & pour over boiling water from a kettle to wilt it. Press the spinach into the colander with the back of a spoon, squeezing out as much water as possible.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, spiced onions & spinach with a generous pinch of salt & pepper, then form the mixture into 8 even-size cakes. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan & fry the cakes, 4 at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side until they have a bit of a crust, then carefully lift onto a baking tray in a single layer. You may need to add more oil to the pan. When all are fried, put in the oven & bake for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile cook the kale. Wipe the pan clean, then heat 1 tbsp oil over a high heat and fry the kale, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes until the kale is tender but still has a slight bite. Add the garlic for the last 2 minutes, then taste & season.
6. For the poached eggs, fill a large saucepan or large deep frying pan with
water & bring it to a very gentle simmer – the water should barely be moving.
Crack the eggs into the water & poach without touching for 3-4 minutes.
Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with kitchen
paper. Serve 2 cakes per person topped with an egg & some
coriander, with the stir-fried kale alongside.